Monday, November 19, 2012

Social distance

Today, I learn a new phrase. Social distance and social mobility.

In a recent survey of students studying in top schools, 6 out of their 10 friends are in the same social circle as them, ie, live in landed property, family income way above median.

They probably had a head start in school, getting into top primary schools, staying in landed near top schools, investing in tuition and enrichment, or maybe alumni. I know of people staying in pasir ris, going all the way to amk to study.

So am I to blame if I did not invest enough resources to ensure that my children have a head start? Am I not a good parent? Is social status that important? I have many many questions I'm asking myself. Have I let my children down?

Once, I've benefitted through earning from giving tuition. I was happiest when I gave tuition at RC. The children there really needed it. I remembered one p5 boy who was failing his English. But after enrolling at the tuition classes at RC, he passé at EOY exam. He even got a good progress award. I remembered his father saying thank you to me. It was more than 10 years ago, but I could still remember.

I was also employed part time at an enrichment centre opposite parkway parade to conduct creative writing classes. Although all materials were provided for, I just need to deliver the lessons, but I wasn't happy teaching there. Because to most of the students, it was something extra for them, to improve their writing. I could sense the reluctance. Although it was a 1 hour 15 mins lesson , it felt very long for me every time I conduct a lesson.

In summary, my children will probably have difficulty in social mobility and will feel the social distance. Maybe they would blame me next time for not giving them the head start.

1 comment:

Princess said...

I was happiest when I was studying in YJ too.. despite coming from elite schools... My closest friends till now are also from there.. Mixing with down to earth people make kids understand reality.. Being in an elite school really doesn't mean that you'll def succeed in life, similarly if u r not from one. Little treasures are stored in the most unexpected places.